Moving homes? Got pets? No sweat! We’ve been there, done that. From relocating with cats to settling in with your scaly friends, here’s the ultimate guide to a paws-itive move.
Tip 1: Create a Comforting Overnight Kit
Ensure your pet has everything they need to feel secure from night one.
Essential Kit Includes:
- Food: Their usual fare to avoid tummy upsets.
- Comfort Items: Favorite toys or blankets can ease stress.
Tip 2: Vet on Speed Dial
Keep your vet in the loop and make sure you:
- Update records: Especially if moving long distance with pets.
- Secure prescriptions: A good stock of necessary meds.
- Get a local vet recommendation: Don’t wait for a pet emergency to find a new vet.
Tip 3: Seclude Your Pets from Chaos
Keep your furry friends away from the bustle by:
- Choosing a quiet room: Stock it with their gear.
- Considering a daycare or friend’s place: For undivided attention they deserve.
Routine is king, even in transit. Stick to their schedules!
Tip 4: Safe Car Transport
Traveling with a pet? It’s all about safety and comfort.
- Secure carriers: Make sure they’re escape-proof.
- Travel tests: Short practice rides can help acclimate your pet to the carrier.
Tip 5: Contain Curiosity Upon Arrival
Before letting pets out, make sure the environment is safe.
Pro Tip: Keep cats indoors to adjust to their new territory safely.
Tip 6: Introduce New Spaces Slowly
Start in a small area to help them feel at home before introducing them to other spaces.
- Familiarize: Use their bedding and toys.
- Keep Calm: Avoid loud noises or major changes at first.
Tip 7: Update Pet IDs
An updated tag and microchip mean peace of mind in a new place.
Special Considerations for Different Pets
Tip 8: Move Fish with Care
Fish can be tricky, so keep their travel containers small and water quality high.
Tip 9: Sensitive Moves for Guinea Pigs
Keep these delicate creatures away from loud noises and cushion their carrier.
Tip 10: Secure Your Birds
Use a well-ventilated cage and cover windows in transit to prevent escape attempts.
Moving house with animals doesn’t have to ruffle any feathers. For more advice or a helping hand, reach out to Happy Movers, your partner for a stress-free relocation. Ready to fetch our services? Dig into what we offer here.
Here’s to a purr-fect move!